Launch of new research on small and medium-sized charities
Two new pieces of independent research commissioned by the Lloyds Bank Foundation have been launched.
- Navigating Change: An Analysis of the financial trends for small and medium-sized charities, by NCVO provides a detailed analysis of where small and medium sized charities get their money from, how they spend it, and how their finances have changed since the recession.
- Too Small to Fail: How small and medium sized charities are adapting to change and challenges by IPPR North explores the strengths and weaknesses of smaller charities, and the social and economic value that such charities provide amid changing public sector funding models.
These pieces of research illustrate the often unseen but critical role that small and medium-sized charities play in tackling disadvantage which makes them essential in delivering the Government’s ‘assault on poverty’. Yet they also show that these charities that have been hardest hit by the fallout of the 2008 financial crisis.
Recommendations to government and funders include :
- Take steps to reduce the volatility of small and medium sized charities’ income
- Support charities to build their capacity
- Reform commissioning to ensure resources can reach small and medium-sized charities
Please click here to find out more.