COATS (Crowthorne Old Age to Teen Society)
We are a small and long established registered charity working for the benefit of local older people in and around Crowthorne, Berkshire. We run a centre which is open every Mon to Thurs from 9.00am to 4.30pm and Fri 9am – 2.30pm. We provide older people with companionship, lunches, teas, activities, entertainment and a range of other different services.
Our name ‘COATS’ is an acronym for ‘Crowthorne Old Age to Teen Society’. When the Society was set up in the 1960s, the idea that young people could contribute to the community by helping local older people was embraced in the name. Originally teenagers helped to raise funds through babysitting and other activities, and they continue to be involved by helping in the COATS charity shop and at the Centre.
We have a variety of volunteering opportunities which you can find out more about here.
How can COATS help me?
- use The Centre to meet established friends or make new friends
- request a lift to The Centre by telephoning 01344 773464
- enjoy a delicious meal at a reasonable price
- join in with any of the regular entertainment and activities offered at the Centre – these include a keep fit, craft skills, skittles, quizzes, entertainers and speakers
- receive advice on a range of matters relating to older people
- use a number of services on offer from time to time, such as church services or nail cutting.
If you are the Carer of an older person you can benefit from a short respite, leaving your loved one in safe hands for a few hours.
Do I have to be a member to benefit?
No. The facilities are available on request for any older person who lives in or near Crowthorne, Berkshire. A minibus is available to pick people up who live in Crowthorne.
Last Updated: 15th August, 2018
Quality recognition and indicator awards
Please be aware that the information below has been supplied by this provider. Small Good Stuff hasn't checked that it is true and accurate so you might want to do this yourself.
Contract with Wokingham Borough Council
Day Care service for older people living within the Borough
Disclosure and barring check:
- all workers (in eligible roles)
- all volunteers (in eligible roles)
Award or recognition:
The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service