Open Wings is a small community based adult learning, work and life skills centre which has been set up by two sisters one of whom has over 25 years of experience of working with adults with learning disabilities and the other of working with disadvantaged groups.
Our vision is to OPEN up opportunities, choices and possibilities which people with a learning disability may not have been able to access in the past.
So what makes Open Wings different to other services already out there?
- We are not a day centre, we are a provider of skills which prepare people to experience the world of work.
- We can work with a diverse range of needs within the community and offer our workshops to schools, colleges, transition groups and day centres.
- People who use our service can work towards the ASDAN Workright programme and achieve an accreditation.
- We offer the opportunity of a work experience placement which, if necessary can be continually supported on a one-to-one basis.
- We offer a tailored, individual and bespoke package of learning specific to the wishes, of needs and requirements of each person who we work with.
- We develop a person centred individual learning plan for each person who we work with.
- Our tutor/learner ratio is very small, and one to one support is available if needed
- Free taster sessions are available as is free transitions work
We offer a wide range of workshops including:
- Independent Travelling Skills
- Communication Skills
- Confidence Building
- Working With Others
- Personal Health Hygiene & Wellbeing
- Interview Techniques
- Work Experience Placements
- Stress Management
- Organisational and Planning Skills
Open Wings was formed out of our passion and commitment to make a positive and meaningful difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and / or difficulties, and recognises each individual for their uniqueness, diversity and gifts.
Our future plans include the possible development of social enterprise activities that will offer work experience, training and employment opportunities to people with a learning disability.
Please do get in touch for a chat if you would like to find out more.
Last Updated: 30th May, 2015
- 0782 826 8487 / 0782 558 0391
Sherwood Community Centre
Quality recognition and indicator awards
Please be aware that the information below has been supplied by this provider. Small Good Stuff hasn't checked that it is true and accurate so you might want to do this yourself.
Disclosure and barring check:
- all workers (in eligible roles)
- all volunteers (in eligible roles)